Owning a car is a wonderful thing. It helps you do your errands in a faster and more convenient manner. It gets you to work and even ferries the kids around when needed.
As we head into the festive season its often met with the threat of theft! From items that are left in the car on display and sometimes of the car itself! Opportunists will seize their moment which for us (like many big ticket items), has a potential to incur huge repair bills and other unexpected expenses down the road.
To protect your car from thieves, take note of the following:
- Ensure that you have all your keys hidden in a safe place. Don’t leave them near the window or door at night! One broken window later and your car will be gone.
- Secure your car every time you leave it. Whenever you park in a public place or in your own driveway, you should double check if you have locked the windows and the doors. This very basic security measure is often forgotten by car owners, leaving their cars at risk.
- Park intelligently. It is a good idea to park in a well-lit area but considering how brazen criminals have now become, a well-lit place might not even deter them from stealing your car. It is a good idea to park near building entrances though or near where security cameras are.
- Alarms and GPS trackers can make a huge difference. If your car has a built-in alarm, be sure to use it. You can also invest in a GPS tracking system that sends alerts to your smartphone or computer. This also allows you to give authorities the exact location of the vehicle in the unfortunate event that it is stolen.
- Take your valuables with you. However, if you choose to leave them in your vehicle, make sure that they are not in plain sight. Valuables can entice would-be thieves to break into your vehicle.
- Never leave your car running. Even when de-icing the car, leaving it running can be tempting but please don’t do this! It only makes it easier for thieves to take it away.
Of course, Barrowford MOT are at hand to help in the event of a break in. You can call us anytime on 01282 696351